Rise Above Plastics
Throughout October , the Surfrider Foundation led a ‘Rise Above Plastics’ campaign by providing tips on how to reduce your plastic footprint and simple ways to implement change in your daily routine. The Surfrider Foundation’s mission is to protect and enjoy our oceans, waves and beaches. Here are 10 ways to rise above plastics:
- Choose to reuse when it comes to shopping bags and bottled water. Cloth bags and metal or glass reusable bottles are available locally at great prices.
- Refuse single-serving packaging, excess packaging, straws and other ‘disposable’ plastics. Carry reusable utensils in your purse, backpack or car to use at bbq’s, potlucks or take-out restaurants.
- Reduce everyday plastics such as sandwich bags and juice cartons by replacing them with a reusable lunch bag/box that includes a thermos.
- Bring your to-go mug with you to the coffee shop, smoothie shop or restaurants that let you use them. A great wat to reduce lids, plastic cups and/or plastic-lined cups.
- Go digital! No need for plastic cds, dvds and jewel cases when you can buy your music and videos online.
- Seek out alternatives to the plastic items that you rely on.
- If you must use plastic, try to choose #1 (PETE) or #2 (HDPE), which are the most commonly recycled plastics. Avoid plastic bags and polystyrene foam as both typically have very low recycling rates.
- Volunteer at a beach cleanup. Surfrider Foundation Chapters often hold cleanups monthly or more frequently.
- Support plastic bag bans, polystyrene foam bans and bottle recycling bills.
- Spread the word. Talk to your family and friends about why it is important to Rise Above Plastics!
At Bumbleride we are always looking for more ways to upcycle, recycle and reduce our plastic use. That’s why every stroller that Bumbleride manufactures, contains 14 recycled plastic bottles in a single seat fabric. That means plastics saved from land fills and our oceans. Our recycled fabric is called PET and allows us to use materials that already exist and avoid using all new material. Learn more about our fabrics here, http://www.bumbleride.com/our-fabrics .
We greatly encourage you to get involved in your own community and to take an extra step this month and help recycle. We strive to do just that by frequently taking the office outdoors and cleaning our local beaches, http://www.bumbleride.com/blog/earth-day-bumbleride-beach-cleanup. We have also established a Bumbleride recycling program at our offices in San Diego. We continue to work hard to be more responsible with our products and as a company but are proud of what we have been able to accomplish so far. We also know that educating our children starts with us setting a good example.
We support and appreciate the Surfrider Foundation‘s Rise Above Plastics campaign, http://www.surfrider.org/programs/entry/rise-above-plastics .