Bumbleride Ambassadors – The Harteaus– Argentina & Chile
Adam and Emily can most often be found on a distant family adventure in their Westfalia van appreciating the outdoors and their communities. Join them as they share their travels, artwork and amazing imagery, http://ouropenroad.com/. Our Open Road’s goal is to inspire others to create, eat well, spend quality time together, and adventure into their own great backyards. This is the latest post in our Bumbleride Ambassadors blog series where we share active and outdoor families’ experiences with their Bumbleride stroller(s).
Please tell us about yourselves.
Adam & I met in Los Angeles at Otis College of Art & Design where I studied fashion design & Adam studied fine art. Adam just had an exhibition in Los Angeles in October inspired by two years on the road- http://ouropenroad.com/terraincognita/ . I have enjoyed having time to explore some of my other interests like cooking & writing. Each of our blog posts is like a chapter in a book and I have been working on a cookbook for a very long time now…
Please tell us about your families’ love for travel.
We have traveled together for over a decade, always dreaming and planning our next adventure. When Emily was pregnant with Colette, Adam was working on a project that would have put us in India and Nepal for 6+ months. When that fell through, we knew the time had come for us to plan our own grand voyage. It was born naturally of a dream we developed together and wanted to share with Colette. It took over a year of saving and fundraising, planning and preparing before we departed. The greatest gift this trip has presented is time. We have time to be together and time to explore the rich cultural landscapes; our hearts and minds have been filled by kind and generous locals and stunning natural beauty with unforgettable vistas. Slowing down to enjoy these things has been a gift. We use all our senses to experience the day and do not expect magic moments to appear instantly.
Which countries stand out for most memorable highlights with your children? Do you have a favorite country to recommend to US/Canadian families with little ones?
Sierra’s birth in Brazil was a remarkable time on the road and has granted her dual citizenship, which we think is the coolest birthday gift ever.
My top 5 recommendations for traveling families:
1) Buenos Aires is not just a city for lovers, it is also a great city to visit with families: parks, museums, galleries and yummy restaurants abound.
2) Conguillío and Huerquehue National Parks in the Chilean Lakes District are enchanting. Hiking with kids has such a balancing effect, all while burning that energy they have!
3) Uruguay is a small, safe country that is easy to travel in- the east coast is especially dreamy.
4) Cartagena, Colombia is a wonderful small city where the light seems to dance on every corner.
5) The Big Island of Hawaii is like our second home, and is a phenomenal place to visit with kids- sea turtles, golden sand and tropical water – what more could anyone ask for?
Follow Adam and Emily on their travels by visiting their website, http://ouropenroad.com/ and following them on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram!
Check out this feature on Moms who travel with style including the Harteaus on CondeNast Traveller, http://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2015-05-08/happy-mothers-day-moms-who-travel-with-style .